Fighting Over Morels In Michigan
As it stands, if you pick mushrooms in the wild here in Michigan and want to sell them to a business/restaurant, you need to be legally certified to do so. Which means that you have to take a $175 class on how to identify which mushrooms are safe to eat and which are poisonous.
A State Representative has now proposed legislation that would change the current law a bit so that people picking and selling morels to restaurants and businesses would NOT need the certification.
MLive.com has more details here on the back and forth of the law, including how many cases of mushroom poisonings have been reported in the state.