Famous Michigan-Born Comedian Learning To Walk Again Family Says
Most of us have known the name Sinbad since we were kids... not talking about old movie titles or tv shows either. The comedian, Sinbad.
Which shows was Sinbad in?
- Many becoming most familiar with the comedian when he starred in the 'Cosby' spin-off 'A Different World' (1987-1993) as Coach Walter Oakes
- 'Moesha' (1996-2002) as Professor LeCount
- Numerous HBO stand-up specials.
- Movies 'Jingle All The Way,' 'Houseguest,' 'First Kid' and more.
- He's even been a voice actor in 'American Dad' since 2005.
Where is Sinbad the comedian from?
- Sinbad hails from Benton Harbor, MI. His real name is David Adkins. Sinbad went to college in Denver in the mid-1970s and played basketball as a forward according to Wikipedia. He was eligible for the NBA draft in 1978 (undrafted) but went on to serve in the Air Force -- competed in a talent show as a comedian, too.
What happened to Sinbad?
NBC News reported Sinbad had a stroke in late October 2020. Doctors thought he would recover quickly but suffered another blood clot the next day ... resulting in another surgery to restore normal blood flow to the brain. All of that resulted in a medial induced coma and months in the hospital.
How is Sinbad doing now? Has Sinbad recovered from his stroke?
The overall survival rate of this type of event is only 30%. So, Sinbad has beat the odds by living (66 years of age as of this writing). His family has said:
Limbs that were said to be 'dead' are coming alive, and he's taking the steps necessary to learn to walk again. In his own words, 'I am not done. I will not stop fighting until I can walk across the stage again.' And neither will we.