The Old Lumber Town of Stutsmanville: Emmet County, Michigan
In Emmet County lies the unincorporated community of Stutsmanville, in Friendship Township.
The former lumber village was named after the three Stutsman brothers who built and operated a sawmill at Stutsmanville Corner, currently the intersection of S. State & W. Stutsmanville Rds.
The Stutsman sawmill operated from 1897 to 1905, and another, the Carey Hoop Company mill, was ½ mile north of Stutsmanville and opened in 1902. A third mill operated from 1908-1910 by the Creveling Handle Company, two miles northwest of the village.
Less than a mile south of the Stutsmanvile intersection is the Stutsmanville Bog Nature preserve, chock-full of creatures and plants, including the bug-eating pitcher plant and sundew!
History is scant on Stutsmanville, and they refer to themselves as 'historic' but info is rare and hard to find. It's still worth a drive-thru on your Michigan roadtrip, to get a shot of what was once the downtown, as well as the old school and church!