Meauwataka (Native American for “Halfway”) is a little burg in Wexford County's Colfax Township. It's considered to be a ghost town (a shell of its former self) by some, even though there's still a general store and a few residences.

The town was named after nearby Meauwataka Lake, which was originally called Dayhuff Lake after Enos Dayhuff, the village's first postmaster. To make it confusing, Google Maps currently refers to the lake under two different names: Meauwataka Lake and Lake Dayhuff.

According to Michigan Place Names and Michigan Ghost Towns, the village was settled around 1867 and by 1872 it was a stagecoach stop between Clam Lake and Sherman. It didn't take long for someone to settle and construct a sawmill; with lumbering getting a foothold in the community, more settlers began arriving.

Get our free mobile app

A post office popped up in 1877 along with a grist mill schoolhouse, and Methodist Church. Over the years more businesses were established, including a barber, blacksmith, two more churches, general store, and a smattering of other shops.

By 1918 the population had dwindled quite a bit, possibly due to the diminishing supply of timber and workers moving on to find jobs elsewhere.

The post office closed for good on April 30, 1952 and from then on, Meauwataka seemed to relinquish its village status and settled in as an easygoing, peaceful community.

Taking a little drive to Meauwataka would be a good idea...and visit the generals tore while you're there. Photos are below.

The Ghost Town of Meauwataka

MORE MICHIGAN GHOST TOWNS:

The Ghost Town of Big Rock

The Ghost Town of Pines, in Schoolcraft County

The Ghost Town of Rugg, Michigan

More From 94.9 WMMQ