June NASCAR Races Postponed At MIS
As NASCAR makes its return to the track in Darlington this weekend, other races in other locations are not so lucky due to a re-vamped schedule.
MLive said there have been races at Michigan International Speedway since 1974, but that summer tradition has hit a snag with COVID-19.
I didn't go to my first NASCAR race until I started dating my boyfriend, Jordan, and his family had won the opportunity to watch the June race from a suite on pit road. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life and it holds a special place in my heart as the first time Jordan's family met my dad.
According to MLive the cancelled dates and races are: June 5 ARCA Series, June 6 Xfinity Series, and the June 7 FireKeepers Casino 400 Cup Series race.
It is undetermined what will happen with the races scheduled for August 7th through the 9th, but for now we can be thankful all races have not been "outright cancelled" like at Chicagoland, Sonoma, and Richmond tracks.
MLive, citing a NASCAR news release, for the new schedule in which all races will be without fans in the stands:
- Sunday, May 17: Darlington Raceway
- Wednesday, May 20: Darlington Raceway
- Sunday, May 24: Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Wednesday, May 27: Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Sunday, May 31: Bristol Motor Speedway
- Sunday, June 7: Atlanta Motor Speedway
- Wednesday, June 10: Martinsville Speedway
- Sunday, June 14: Homestead-Miami
- Sunday, June 21: Talladega Superspeedway
For now, all we can do is be thankful we get to see some real racing after weeks of pretty entertaining iRacing. We also can only hope things slow down and get back to a "normal" schedule that includes a stop at Michigan International Speedway.
List of Michigan Festivals & Events Canceled or Postponed